This DVD introduces you to the best birdwatching sites in Mallorca and gives you a real Ďfeelí for what itís like to go there.
Travel around the island in spring with Dave Gosney showing you what the birding is like at 18 sites and giving you a chance to enjoy footage of the best birds: Eleonoraís Falcon, Red-knobbed Coot, Moustached Warbler and many more including the near-endemics Balearic Warbler, Moltoniís Warbler and Balearic Shearwater and several endemic races such as Woodchat Shrike, Spotted Flycatcher and Crossbill.
The best sites - covers the best birding sites on the island including the Albufera, Formentor, Cabrera, the Salobrar de Campos and the areas around Port de Pollenca
The best birds - sit back and enjoy footage of over 75 species, including many of the specialities, all filmed using high-definition digital video cameras
The best information Ė find out more about the sites and their birds, including what to listen for, to help you find more species such as Moltoniís Warbler, Balearic Warbler, Tawny Pipit, Wryneck etc
Running time: 1 hour and 12 minutes
This is a completely revised and updated guide to birding sites in Mallorca, from Formentor in the north to Cap Ses Salinas in the south with particular emphasis on the areas around Port de Pollenca and the Albufera.
Dave Gosney writes:
ĎFinding Birds in Mallorca was the first book I wrote, back in 1992 and was so popular it spawned the rest of the Finding Birds series. Now, 20 years later, it has been completely re-written with new maps and a DVD to go with it. Nowadays Mallorca is visited by fewer birders which is a surprise because its now even better for birds than it used to be, with several new breeding species and at least three near-endemic species that are easier to see here than anywhere else in the world - if you have the right book to tell you where to look!í.
Compared to other publications covering the same area, this one:
* Includes coverage of a greater range of sites, including the Port de Pollenca area where most visiting birdwatchers choose to stay
* Covers exact details of where to find difficult species such as Balearic Warbler, Moltoniís Warbler and Moustached Warbler
* Is more up-to-date, based on trips made up to 2012
* Has maps which are exactly to scale - if the map suggests itís 500 metres, thatís how far it will be
* Includes GPS co-ordinates to help you find the right turnings, parking spaces or viewing points
* Highlights the best areas only and summarises the key attraction in the first paragraph so you can easily decide whether to read on
* Has a map on the inside cover which serves as an index so you can easily find any site in the book
* Is light and portable
* Is complemented by a DVD showing you exactly what itís like to go birding in many of these sites
Sites included in this guide book are: SíAlbufera including Cami des Polls, Son Bosc and the Depuradora, Tucan marsh, Son Real, Port de Pollenca, Boquer valley, Pollenca back lanes including Cami de Ca Volantina and Cami de Llenaire, Albufereta, Cape Formentor including Cases Velles, The Central Plain including Maria de la Salut, Arta peninsula including Betlem (Cami des Calo) and the Ermita de Betlem, Tramuntana mountains including Ternelles Valley, Mount Tomir, Lluc monastery and Mortitx, Cuber Reservoir, Palma to Port de Soller including Son Reus, Castel Alaro and the Bassa de Can Guidet, Southern Mallorca including Cap Blanc and Cap de Ses Salines, Porto Colom, Salobrar de Campos and Colonia San Jordi and Cabrera.