Once again Lincolnshire attracted some very good birds throughout the year including the Stilt Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher and Black-winged Stilt at RSPB Frampton Marsh. Additionally, the arrival of the Snowy Owl in the Wainfleet and Freiston area was most welcome! A Blue-winged Teal at Alkborough Flats was the first in the county for many years. Gibraltar Point hosted Red-footed Falcon, Common Rosefinch and one of two Spotted Crakes that were in Lincs.
Yorkshire produced its usual crop of rarities including Purple Heron at Tophill Low, a splendid adult Greater Sandplover at Easington, a Squacco Heron at Kilnsea Wetlands, Woodchat Shrike at Spurn, and Buff-breasted Sandpiper at RSPB Blacktoft Sands. A photogenic adult Rose-coloured Starling visited Flamborough and a Couse's Arctic Redpoll was at Bempton Cliffs. In the north of the recording area an adult Franklin's Gull graced Scaling Dam Reservoir, a Semi-palmated Sandpiper was at the Washington WWT reserve and a Little Swift at Hartlepool.
Elsewhere, the Grey Catbird in Cornwall was a huge attraction, as was the elusive American Bittern in Suffolk. Other notable inclusions are Green Heron in Pembrokeshire, the probable American Horned Lark in Surrey, Ross's Gull in Dorset, Penduline Tit in Gloucestershire, Pallid Harrier at Welney, and Pied Wheatear in Merseyside. Norfolk hosted a long-staying Lesser Yellowlegs at Titchwell, plus a King Eider at Sheringham.
All of the above birds, and lots more, are included in the DVD which has a total running time of 213 minutes. The usual narration provides information for each sighting.
1. Spotted Sandpiper, Holme Pierrepont, Notts. – Jan.
2. Long-tailed Duck, Holme Pierrepont, Notts. – Jan.
3. Red-necked Grebe, Covenham Res. Lincs. – Jan.
4. Horned Lark, Staines Res. Surrey. – Feb.
5. Rose-coloured Starling, Easington, E. Yorks. – Feb.
6. Green-winged Teal, Kilnsea, E. Yorks. – Feb.
7. Ring Ouzel, Sammy’s Point, E. Yorks. – Feb.
8. Penduline Tit, Plock Court NR, Glouc’s. – Feb.
9. Black-headed Blue Tit, Whisby NR, Lincs. – Feb.
10. Kumlien’s Gull, Kilvington Lakes, Notts. – Feb.
11. Ross’s Gull, RSPB Radipole Lake, Dorset – Feb.
12. Glaucous Gull, RSPB Radipole Lake, Dorset – Feb
13. Red-necked Grebe, Bagmoor, Lincs. – March
14. Glaucous Gull, Mundesley, Norfolk. - March
15. Snowy Owl, RSPB Snettisham – March
16. Red-necked Grebe, Barton, Lincs. – April
17. Great Grey Shrike, Owthorpe, Notts. – April
18. Ring-necked Duck, Barton, Lincs. – April
19. Glaucous Gull, Skegness, Lincs. – April
20. Glossy Ibis, Eastbridge, Suffolk – April
21. American Bittern, RSPB Carlton Marshes, Suffolk – April
22. Purple Heron, Tophill Low, East Yorks. - May
23. Green Heron, Llan Mill, Pembrokeshire – May
24. Dotterel, Swinefleet, East Yorks. - May
25. Snowy Owl RSPB Freiston Shore, Lincs. – May
26. Glossy Ibis, RSPB Old Moor, South Yorks. – May
27. Bluethroat, Kilnsea, East Yorks. – May
28. Red-necked Phalarope, West Ashby, Lincs. - May
29. Rose-coloured Starling, RSPB Flamborough, East Yorks. – May
30. Common Rosefinch, Gibraltar Point NNR, Lincs. – May
31. Black-winged Stilt, RSPB Freiston Shore, Lincs. - May
32. Red-backed Shrike, Donna Nook, Lincs. - June
33. Iberian Chiffchaff, Norwood Edge, North Yorks. - June
34. Spoonbills, RSPB Fairburn Ings – June/July
35. Semi-palmated Sandpiper, Washington WWT, Cleveland – June
36. Squacco Heron, Kilnsea, East Yorks. – June
37. Greater Sandplover, Easington. East Yorks. – July
38. Lesser Yellowlegs, RSPB Titchwell Marsh, Norfolk – July
39. Franklin’s Gull, Scaling Dam Res. North Yorks. – July
40. Buff-breasted Sandpiper, RSPB Blacktoft Sands – Aug.
41. Spotted Crake, Gibraltar Point NNR, Lincs. – Aug.
1. Blue-winged Teal, Alkborough Flats, Lincs – Aug.
2. Spotted Crake, Grimsby, Lincs. – Aug.
3. Red-backed Shrike, Spurn, East Yorks. – Aug.
4. Stilt Sandpiper RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincs. – Aug.
5. Woodchat Shrike, Kilnsea, East Yorks. – Aug.
6. Red-backed Shrike, Easington, East Yorks. – Aug.
7. Long-billed Dowitcher, RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincs – Sept.
8. Pomarine Skua, South Gare, Cleveland – Sept.
9. Wryneck, RSPB Bempton Cliffs,East Yorks. – Sept.
10. Common Rosefinch, Spurn, East Yorks. – Sept.
11. Red-footed Falcon, Gibraltar Point NNR, Lincs.. – Sept.
12. Cattle Egret, RSPB Freiston Shore, Lincs.. – Sept.
13. Pallid Harrier, Welney WWT, Norfolk – Sept.
14. Grey Phalarope, Napton Res. Warks. – Oct.
15. Cattle Egret, RSPB Frampton Marsh, Lincs. – Sept.
16. Hobby, North Cave Wetlands, East Yorks. – Oct.
17. Jack Snipe, Spurn, East Yorks. – Oct.
18. Scilly Isles – Oct.
19. Spotted Sandpiper, Marske, Cleveland – Oct.
20. Grey Catbird, Treeve Moor, Cornwall– Oct.
21. Barred Warbler, RSPB Bempton Cliffs, East Yorks. – Oct.
22. Couse’s Arctic Redpoll, RSPB Bempton Cliffs, East Yorks. – Oct.
23. Shore Larks, Easington, East Yorks. – Nov.
24. Pied Wheatear, The Wirral, Merseyside – Nov.
25. Little Swift, Hartlepool, Cleveland – Nov
26. King Eider, Sheringham, Norfolk – Nov.
27. Black Redstart, Cley, Norfolk – Nov.
28. Waxwings, Hessle East Yorks – Dec.
29. American Robins, Ann Arbor, Michigan – Dec.