This DVD takes you island-hopping to five of the islands in the Canaries archipelago, showing you the best sites for birds such as the laurel pigeons, Houbara Bustards, Fuerteventura Chat and Blue Chaffinch and takes you out to sea to look for White-faced, Bulwer’s and Band-rumped Petrels. There’s no better way to plan your trip than to watch this DVD showing almost all the key species.
The best sites - see what it's like to go birding in 17 sites and get an idea of what birds you might see and how close you could get to them.
The best birds - sit back and enjoy footage of over 50 species, including both laurel pigeons, Houbara Bustard, 4 species of petrel and most of the endemic species and races, all filmed using high-definition digital video cameras.
The best information - find out more about the sites and their birds, including tips on how to identify the petrels and laurel pigeons and what makes so many of the forms here different from anywhere else in the world.
Running time: 1 hour and 21 minutes
Dave Gosney writes:
‘‘Even if you’ve been to the Canaries before, the chances are there are several more species that you can see now - and some of the birds you struggled to see before are now much easier. You might decide to visit the islands to catch up on the Houbara Bustards or White-tailed Pigeons you missed before or to take a more careful look at the recently split endemics such as Tenerife Robin, Tenerife Goldcrest and the 4 species of Blue Tit or to finally get to grips with the special seabirds of the islands such as ‘Baroli’s’ Shearwater, White-faced Petrel, Band-rumped Petrel and Bulwer’s Petrel. Whatever your reason, my new book will give you a better chance of finding the birds you’re after”.
Compared to other publications covering the same area, this one:
* Covers exact details of where to find birds so you can easily find your way to the best bits of wetland, plain or woodland
* Is more up-to-date, based on recent trips
* Has maps which are exactly to scale - if the map suggests it’s 500 metres, that’s how far it will be
* Includes GPS co-ordinates to help you find the right turnings, parking spaces or viewing points
* Highlights the best areas only and summarises the key attraction in the first paragraph so you can easily decide whether to read on
* Has a map on the inside cover which serves as an index so you can easily find any site in the book
* Is light and portable
* Is complemented by a DVD showing you exactly what it’s like to go birding in many of these sites